Search This Blog

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Portland to the Arctic Circle by Car.

First of all, we did not just return from the Arctic Circle -- and yes, we are still living in China.  This blog is by special request from a very special person in my life.  I don't typically blog by request.

We embarked on this trip in 2011 driving from Portland, Oregon through British Columbia, Canada and reaching the Artic Circle.  I thought my husband Greg was insane when he suggested it.  But I have since learned that most of his crazy-sounding suggestions are not so bad.  So I must thank him also for suggesting that we get married.  Here are the pictures and a brief description of our incredible journey.

Please ignore my poor spelling in the picture.  As a speech pathologist, I hope you will understand that "artic" is much more active in my brain pathways than "Arctic."  Thank you.



Greg insisted that we stop and try Tim Horton's Donuts -- "The best."  Well, they were good, but I still like Dunford donuts the best.


 Almost immediately, the scenery became more beautiful.


Simply beautiful.

Greg and Parker at Lake Louise.





Greg is only slightly scared of heights.  Of course he is faking it here, but he really doesn't like heights -- which is ironic, considering how tall he is.




I had to add a gratuitous look-at-my-handsome-manly-man of a husband picture.


Parker entertaining us with his drama.




We couldn't believe how lucky we were to have stumbled across "The Best Place on Earth." Actually I thought it sounded a bit conceited.

But then we saw this. . .

And  this. . . . .


Okay, okay, you are the most beautiful place on earth.  I mean really.  Do you have to be all in my face with so much beauty?!





Then Greg shrank and Parker had to carry him.


I defy anyone not to smile while at Emerald Lake.








We traveled by combination of hotels and pop-up trailer.  Like magic every time we opened it up this flat little box became a cozy little tent.  So awesome.


This place just kept showing off.








I had no idea Chewbacca was living in Canada!  








Looking for gold in all the wrong places. . .


The not-so-commonly-known Dempster Highway.  And our very exciting landmark indicating the last leg of our trip to the Arctic Circle.


The Dempster Highway in all it's raw beauty.


Greg a bit happy with how his truck got so dirty.

Because we had alternating showers and shine, we saw tons of rainbows.





We stayed at Eagle Plains before driving up to the Arctic Circle.  It's not hard to find a hotel -- there's just 1.








Good-bye most beautiful place on earth!

You have us convinced :)


On our way back home.




2 comments:

  1. Happy Year of the Horse. Please thank your special friend for me. Those pictures were just stunning. While I am not compelled to go to the Arctic Circle, it has given me resolve to see British Columbia. I am so glad your family is doing well. Thanks for taking the time to post. Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you do make it to B.C. -- you won't regret it. I would love to visit again so e time.

    ReplyDelete