Search This Blog

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Six Days in Cambodia

We visited Siem Reap, Cambodia, end of September--early October 2012.  We really enjoyed it's jungle-like atmosphere.  It was a nice, relaxing vacation with a couple of days of delicious afternoon rain.  The people there were very warm,  very friendly and smiled often.  The food was tasty (but if you go, just use typical travel precautions with food). You can send me an email if you want to know what I think are precautions.


Most of these pictures were taken at Angkor Wat, famous for the temples and "strangling" trees.

This picture was taken as we were walking to Ankgor Thom.





Wish I could remember which temple this was, but I don't.  If I figure it out, I will update this post later -- or maybe someone can let me know.



I believe this is Ta Prohm.  Although we did visit quite a few temples over two days -- so my apologies that I did not write them down.

Greg meeting our Tuk-Tuk driver.



The Buddhist monks are a common sight in Cambodia.  The orange color they wear really stands out, so you can't miss them if they are out.

A main market in Siem Reap.



I had never seen these before, but I think "padded underwear" could come in handy.  For example, when you are sitting on a cement bench at a football game.  I found it very interesting--and no, I did not buy any.


This "pajama" style of clothing is very, very popular in Cambodia.  We saw so many people wearing clothing that looked like pajamas.  I can't explain it and I didn't ask, but I did notice it.

Here is another lady with her pajama-bottom type pants.


I always find it interesting when I see big movie stars in ads for products in Asia.  Here you can see Uma Thurman.

Angkor Wat Temple at sunrise.  Unfortunately for me, it was overcast.

You will see tons of fields and many Brahma cows and bulls.


Spectacular temple views like this.  I love the red of the temple contrasting against the green jungle background.


Cambodia is known for their "Strangling Trees."  I'm sure there is a more scientific name somewhere.  These trees, were amazing to see.  They are much more impressive in person.  They are huge and they drape over the temples, which gives the place a very unique, strange feel -- kind of surreal, but so cool.

I really loved all the green growing all over the broken down structures.

The very best part of Cambodia, however, were the people.  Like I said, they are warm and friendly -- often smiling.  I thought this girl was simply beautiful.

1 comment: