Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Chinese Costco


Chinese Costco

There is a place that many people here liken to Costco back home. This place is called Metro. You can find lots of things here, but very few things will be the same as the Costco in the US. Some of the popular items here in China include rice cookers, foot massagers (you can find these everywhere), rice. Some things you won't find too much... include cereal, sour cream, food samples , to name a few. I thought I would take a few pictures and post them for you so you can be really happy about having a place that is dedicated to the American public's taste.

UPDATE January 6, 2014:  They now do carry sour cream,cheese, butter and more variety of cereals--check the imports isle.  Also, in the bread area, in a freezer I recently saw croissant dough.  In the meat area you will also find imported meats, but be prepared to pay.  If you are a foreigner make sure to take your passport the first time you visit so you can sign up for a membership card.




These chips look familiar, but you need to be careful or you might take home some unusual flavored chip-- and sometimes that is not a good thing. Trust me, I know.




You don't need to ask if the fish are fresh here.





Its definitely fresh.






These eggs are NOT refrigerated, in fact no eggs in Metro are refrigerated. I need to google why some eggs are refrigerated and others are not. I still haven't purchased non-refrigerated eggs.




They actually offer quite a variety of brands AND type of egg.





You can't really tell in this picture, but these are not eggs as we know them. These are little birds in the shape of eggs with their feathers still intact. I guess it's right before they are supposed to hatch? I am unable to describe them very well, because once again, I could not stomach a close inspection.





The produce in China is always full of variety and generally looks lovely.



This is my friend Jenny, who has been really sweet helping my acclimate to a new country.


Let's see... salt, pepper, parsley




. . .and, oh yes, black fungus.


Lots of black fungus. I know it's a mushroom, but fungus just sounds wrong when it is in a food aisle.



Gratuitous photo of a building near Gold Arch. I like the architecture here in Guangzhou, although not always beautiful, they are often interesting, especially for a big city.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment