Search This Blog

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Going To The Market

Markets in China:

Going to the market. Here in China, you better be specific. What kind of a market? An electronics market? A fabric Market? The pet Market? The wet market? It all depends on what you are looking for that day. I have discovered that markets here are divided into categories.


If, for example, you are looking for a blow dryer, then you want to go to the electronics market. It is a place where you will find store after store and shop after shop that sell all kinds of things that are electronic -- like blenders, cameras, phones, blow-dryers, flat irons, vacuums, etc. It can be overwhelming because there is just soooooo much of what you are looking for, but I think it makes it kind of fun too.

Below are pictures of my trip to a "Wet Market" -- which is what they call a market where you can find things fresh. And by "fresh" it could mean still alive. Some Chinese I'm sure would find it gross that we buy our meat already dead and packaged at the grocery store -- just in the same way, that we might find it gross to see our meat being cut up right before our very eyes. That's how you can tell it is really fresh :)







The vegetables I saw looked beautiful for the most part and it seems like the selection in China is much larger than what I've seen in the states. There were so many veggies I could not recognize but they looked very appetizing.







I saw (and smelled) quite a few items like these. They are dried up little creatures and plants(?) -- not sure, but they seem to be very popular because they are all over the place.






This was another shot of a similar shop, probably right next door to the other one, or just a couple of spaces over.









This little place specialized in different types of tofu.








Here you can get your meat as fresh as possible.








Cat got your tongue? Maybe you can borrow these.









Only the largest cucumbers I have ever seen in my life. Or maybe they are squash. The three sitting in the back of the room behind the lady are what I am talking about.











Look closely -- see the tail hanging off the table surface? Do you recognize it? Yes, it really is a crocodile. There was a man chopping away inside, and I literally could not look because I was feeling a little sick at that point.







This was a cool little place where they sold only Lunar New Year decorations and cards, etc.









Live scorpions for sale and, yes for eating. You know the show "Fear Factor?" I think if the local people here saw that show, they would just say, "what's the big deal?"









It,s kind of scary to say any animal is cute, because you are just going to feel bad when you find out they are going to be soup for lunch.









Dragon Fruit. Beautiful isn't it. It's tasty too -- the inside is white with little tiny black seeds in it (kind of like poppy seeds).















An apple with some kind of Lunar New Year greeting on it.






In this picture, I am holding a train ticket to Hong Kong. We are headed there this monday for the Lunar New Year! I will blog about it upon my return.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment