Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

How would you feel about moving to China?

So my husband Greg came home one day and asked how I would feel about moving to China?  Being the big tease that he is, anyone would know better than to believe about 95% of what comes out of his mouth.  So my first reaction was trying to figure out what kind of a scam he was trying to pull on me.  He went on to explain that there might be a job opportunity for him to work in Guangzhou, China.  Once, it started to sink in that he might actually be serious -- I honestly didn't know how to respond.  And probably in response to the blank look on my face, he told me he would give me some time to think about it, which is a good thing because I need lots of time to let things sink in. 


After much thought and weighing the pros and cons and looking up some information online including the spelling and pronunciation of Guangzhou (Guan-Sh-ow: as in "ow" in I hurt myself), it actually started to sound like a pretty good idea.  My mind danced around with thoughts of a different culture, a new language, and exciting adventure, new foods, a great opportunity for Parker, etc.   Although the thought of moving far away can make me a bit apprehensive (like leaving family and friends), the possibility of such a unique experience motivated me to take that leap of faith  and hope that I would land on something far better than I ever anticipated (even if it doesn't seem like it at first).  So with a little bit of trepidation, I said, "yes," I think you should apply.  He got the job a few months later and we had about 1 month to get ready to move!  When he told me he got the job, I swear I felt a bit dizzy and disoriented -- kind of like a camera out of focus.  We are now about 2 weeks from actually flying there, I'm still not feeling quite focused -- Christmas is soon to be here, and I have been on a roller-coaster of ups and downs.  Excitement mixed with anxiousness, makes for an interesting feeling.

2 comments:

  1. This is just great Morelia. Thanks so much for doing it. I will greatly enjoy reading about your discoveries and experiences over the next three years. I can't wait to see pictures of the world outside your door. Thank you for letting me live vicariously through you. You will have plenty of time to make entries. Don't let me down. :)

    ReplyDelete